Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Flash Mobs, Body of Christ and Mission Leader Training


Today, Jeannie sent me a link to a flash mob video from a store in Canada. I had read about flash mobs, but was not aware of the video files that show some of their more public venures, singing, dancing and freeze action posing in a public place.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was isn’t this an amazing picture of the function of the Body of Christ in the world. One of my mentors, Pastor Ray Stedman, talked about the Kingdom of God as “God’s secret government of the earth.”

So when I see dozens or hundreds of seemingly normal people, in a very public venue, in the middle of their daily activities, suddenly breaking into a choral rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus, it quickly becomes obvious that they have a different agenda, and are responding to different cues, on a different timetable than others around them.

But isn’t this what we are supposed to be doing every day, all day? Not singing or dancing (at least not for people like me) but going about my daily schedule with a different agenda, a different purpose, responding to different cues, and looking for a different response?

Of course, I couldn’t go far without reflecting on how this kind of technique might be used on some of our training events. For example, use a prepared role play which would emerge naturally from a session with no introduction or instruction that would make it appear to be anything other than part of the dialogue in a session. Or have three or four people, at a particular point in the session, again with no introduction or announcement, stand and read something aloud in unison. (that might even wake up some of the people in the class).

Well that little bit of output has probably used up all my creative juices for the week. I think it’s time for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment