Wednesday, June 24, 2009

On Training and Coaching

For the past 15 years, I've been part of the leader training and development community for OMF International and for the IFMA/EFMA LeaderLink Program of Leadership Enhancement. For both OMF and LeaderLink we've designed training programs that best fit into the lifestyle of our ministry organizations, with several chief values:
  1. Deliver quality training, geared for adult learners
  2. Focus training on Missions leaders
  3. Keep costs as low as possible
In this context I've been largely self-taught, since we had limited budget for equipping ourselves for the task. Early on in this process, I discovered the Books by Dr. Jane Vella, former Maryknoll sister, and more recently adult learning guru writing for Jossey-Bass publishers. I've devoured each of her seven books and have taught courses using her training designs in North and South America, Africa, Europe, Central Asia, and East Asia.

However, now that I'm slowing down my travel, due to advancing age, I'm trying to use my knowledge and skills in a new venue, coaching and mentoring via phone and Skype. It's been interesting to see how excited I can be after a 30 minute phone visit with a key colleague.

I think these tools may expand the lifespan of my ministry and I look forward to gaining new competencies. WorldTeam is sponsoring my attendance at Keith Webb's coaching workshop which will be held in Annapolis, MD in September.

1 comment:

  1. David:

    Good on you!

    YOu will love Keith Webb's Core Coaching skills workshop, and find it a superb sword sharpening experience for you, post-Vella. I think it will give you the confidence in the already profound mentoring and coaching skills you have.

    Steve Hoke 7.6.09

    ReplyDelete