Sunday, September 12, 2010

A "Developed-mental" Mindset

This weekend is the beginning of the 2010 NFL season.

I usually try to follow the Tom Brady and the Boston Patriots, though now that Tim Tebow is a Denver Bronco, I’ll probably follow the home team a bit more closely, especially if his playing time increases.

However, I’m writing about something I read in a blog about the Patriots. It’s a quotation from Kyle Love, an undrafted free agents who is on the Patriots roster for the beginning of the season. He will be playing the same position as veteran Vince Wilfork. Here’s what Love says about learning from Wilfork.

 “Every day I ask him something different or he tells me something different,’’ said Love. “Sometimes he comes to me and tells me, ‘This is what you didn’t do, this is what you didn’t look for, this and that.’

“He’s a great leader and I take a lot of advice from him. I’ve watched him real closely every day. I keep my eyes on him. I just watch what he does and just go out there and try to do my best to do what I have to do to be similar to that.’’

First, that sounds like a great statement of what it means to be led by Jesus.

But secondly, we have put a lot of attention on leaders having a “developmental mindset.” I think Kyle Love reminds us that it’s also important for us to have a “developed-mental” mindset—examining every bit of input in our daily lives for what we can learn from those the Lord brings into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment